• Welcome to Vampyre Imaging Library Forum. Please login or sign up.

LGPL v2 or LGPL v3 ? Please clarify.

Started by ChebMaster, 26 March 2021, 03:52:18

Previous topic - Next topic

ChebMaster

26 March 2021, 03:52:18 Last Edit: 26 March 2021, 04:17:49 by ChebMaster
The comment in the code points to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html , which auto-redirects to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.html these days.

With no mentions of version in the comment, does that mean Imaging now requires LGPL v3 ?
In that case it is impossible to use together with code that requires LGPL v2 (as included with the FPC RTL: the RTL does not mention version either but it refers to file COPYING which is a whole text of LGPL v2.1 included with the sources, which have no mention of other versions)

I am building my game engine around LGPL v2, not v3 as I borrow some minor pieces of code from the FPC RTL and also use Linus Torvalds' opinion as a guideline.

Stallman is a bad person to cause such schism.

P.S. If it's v3 I'd prefer to find a way to switch to it because Imaging is so good and irreplaceable. Helps a lot when using GLES @ Raspberry Pi where you need to feed the GAPI an exact texture format it needs.

P.P.S. I kept using 0.26.4 until year 2020 patching it manually (for x86_64 support, for example) because I missed this place and was looking for updates at the sourceforge page. Very funny in hindsight.

ChebMaster

P.S. Irrelevant now, after some deliberation I decided to switch my engine to MPL2 (which automatically includes GPL/LGPL).

Galfar

I actually switched my other project to MPL2 just today and will do the same with Imaging in coming future.
The original notice in the code is I think from 2003 and I haven't looked at the licenses since then.

Yes, the homepage and SF are hopelessly outdated, sorry to keep you on 2009's version for so long :)

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name:
Email:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk